All news

Thinking about Renting your Property Out?

  • Posted:  7 years ago
  • Categories:  Landlords
new key

It may be a daunting thought thinking about becoming a landlord, renting out your property and leaving your home in the hands of someone else. Although becoming a landlord does require responsibilities, as soon as you go to the right estate & letting agency you are guaranteed to undergo a smooth, hassle free process. When becoming a landlord please make sure that you are aware of your legal rights and obligations.

To make sure your house is in good tact for viewings with potential tenants, do everything in your power to make the property as attractive as possible. Firstly have a think about your target audience and who your ideal tenants would be – students? Professionals? A family? Once you have decided who you are marketing your property to further decisions will be easier on how to decorate, how to furnish and market your property. For viewings, ensure that you remove anything from the property that is precious or fragile. With viewings going to be occurring regularly, you don’t want anything to be broken which is sentimental or important. Make sure any repairs on fixtures and fittings have been carried out so the house is in full working mode, this includes all appliances if provided. Even if it’s just a lick of paint on a few white walls that have a couple of fingerprints, it will make a difference. By having everything in working order, this warms the tenants to the house and gives them an idea of what type of property they will be moving into (and what type of landlord you are!). By doing this it shows that you have cared about your house and attracts the right people into wanting to rent your house.

When becoming a landlord you are responsible for:

  • Repairs to the structure and exterior of the property, heating and hot water systems, sinks, baths and other sanitary ware
  • Gas safety and electrical appliances
  • The fire safety of furniture and furnishings provided through the tenant
  • Ensuring the property is fit for moving’s
  • Repairing and keeping in order the working of the house and water heating equipment
  • Applying a carbon monoxide alarm
  • Fit smoke alarms and extractor fans where required
  • Have any gas appliances tested by a Gas Safe registered engineer

More information on the new smoke alarm/carbon monoxide legislation is here:

During any period beginning on or after 1st October 2015 while the premises are occupied under a tenancy (or licence) the landlord must ensure that a smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of the premises on which there is a room used wholly or partly as living accommodation. A carbon monoxide alarm must be provided by the landlord in any room in premises which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation which contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance. This applies to any kind of wood burning stove or an open coal fire. It will also extend to equipment such as a solid fuel Aga in the kitchen. Please see further info online.

The tenants are responsible for:

  • Paying the rent as agreed
  • Bills for gas, electricity, telephone, internet, council tax (if applicable)
  • Keeping the property/garden in a reasonable state of cleanliness and keeping up to date with any decorating
  • Making sure members of the household or visitors do not harass, cause nuisance or annoyance to any neighbours

As a landlord, you should always keep records. Not only is it to keep a track of everything that is happening within your property, but this is now your own business. You should take this as serious as any other business’s you run. Keep records such as:

  • Details of any mortgages or loans secured on the property
  • Any certificates to do with the safety of gas/electrical appliances
  • Records of safety checks (including gas safety certificates)
  • Information on where your stop tap is located in case of damage to pipes or water supply
  • An inventory of the property, signed by yourself, the letting agent (if needed) and the current tenant/s
  • Photographs of the property before tenants have moved in
  • Photographs of closing inventory. This is proof of what state the tenants have left the house in
  • All tenancy’s paperwork required. (Example – photo ID, references, guarantor if needed)

Most of all, if you decide to go to the hands of a professional for help on renting out your property you need to have your 100% faith in them. Here at Priestley Lettings, we have a high success rate in getting tenants into the perfect houses and helping landlords with the process from start to finish. We aspire to help you maintain your property with the right tenants, helping with new and old laws/legislations and giving advice when needed. We are not just here for your business needs, we want to build a strong, long lasting relationship with all of our clients.

Thinking about becoming a landlord with one of your properties here at Priestley Estate Agency & Lettings? We have tenant find only as well as fully managed options, flexible to suit your needs! Please call us directly with any queries you may have: